WHAT'S NEW IN THE GOWN GALLERY?

Tashiko! A silk dupion modified A-line. If you like embossed chiffon, you’ll love the treatment I gave it here. The sleeves look more like lace folding into a gathered sweetheart empire waist that ties in back creating a sweep train. The underskirt is layers of crin trimmed in yards of lace.


Photos by Smoot Photo/Hair by Gayle Parker
Inspiration for this dress came from two sources: the obi sashes on the backs of wedding kimonos and this 1805 portrait of Mlle. Riviere by Ingres, a copy of which hangs in my kitchen and I guess has been inspiring me a long time now. The regency look of the early 19th century is visible here but so is the Asian influence with the back sash that ties like an obi. Also, the chiffon is embossed with lilies and they always remind me of the Far East.